Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Zipping through the year

The days and weeks are flying by so quickly.  I was waiting for John to get his Nascar post together.  And here it is March already.  My parents are back in Wisconsin.  After much contemplation and planning, they will be going to an assisted living home in Waupaca.  My sisters have been working extremely hard to get them ready to move in.  Meanwhile, Mom and Dad are staying with Mary. Holly flew down on February 26 and flew back with Mom and Dad on March 2.  It made things so much easier for them not to have to fly alone. I thoroughly enjoyed having Holly here for a few days.  On Saturday night we had a "girls night out" with Holly, myself and Mom.  We went for dinner and a movie (The King's Speech) which we all enjoyed.
On Sunday, Holly hiked with our weekly hiking group.  It was a great hike up to the South Mountain Summit. Holly kicked it.  When we got back to the house, Mike, Mara and Rohan were there waiting for us to have lunch.  We spent the afternoon together and cooked out for dinner. Monday night Holly came with us for our dining meetup and met some more of our friends. Then Holly and I went over to Debbie's house (who Holly was friends on Facebook with) for some wine and girl time.  It was the first time Holly and Debbie met face to face.  Lots of fun. Tuesday Holly and I did a 3 mile run together.  I think she enjoyed
the warmer temperatures, that's for sure.  It was sad to have them all leave on Wednesday.  This is a new phase of life for Mom and Dad and I wish them much happiness. 
We were able to meet with Hugh and Pam Bruecker for dinner last week.  They were in town visiting Pam's son and for spring training (and Nascar).  Pam has been battling breast cancer that has gone to her brain. As of right now, she said everything is under control and she looked great.  It was really nice to see them.
On Saturday, Nelly and I ran a 5k in Scottsdale at DC Ranch for Ryan House (a respite care center for terminally ill children).  We had a great time.  We had trained together and ended up crossing the finish line at exactly the same time without even trying.  (I still have a hunch she was hanging back for me : ).  This run had more hills and wind than any other ones I  have done, so it was challenging.  The next run is Pat's Run on April 16 and then the Warrior Dash on April 30 (a 3 mile run with 12 obstacles along the way).
March is full of lots more fun and excitement.  Randy and Jan Wussow will be staying with us for a few days while they are in town for spring training.  Their new son-law, Matt Reynolds, is a pitcher for the Colorado Rockies.  Looking forward to lots of good times with good friends.

No comments: