The wheelchair racers kicked off the run
The first corner
John and I after the finish
I ran Pat's Run today in Tempe. It was totally awesome! Pat Tillman played football for ASU and the Arizona Cardinals. He decided to go to war instead of taking a contract of 3.6 million dollars with the Cardinals. He was killed in Afghanistan by friendly fire in 2004. The is the 6th annual run for the Pat Tillman Foundation. They were expecting about 20,000 runners, but there ended up being about 28,000. The whole experience was so cool. John of course, was there supporting me. We headed down to the race at about 5:15 and parked at a park about a mile from the start line. It was good to get a little warm up before the race. Everything was so very well organized. We met up with our friend Erika and her friend, Frank. John was there waiting for me at the finish line (along with the ASU football players!)
The race ended on the 42 yard line of the ASU football field. I finished the 4.2 mile race in 37:30 (just under a 9 min mile) so I was very happy! Thanks again to my wonderful husband John who always stands beside me and cheers me on (and gets up at 4:30 on a Saturday morning!
Also a very special thanks to Holly for all her encouragement and her early morning call on race day! You definitely keep me motivated, Holly! (And good luck on your race on Sunday!!)

3 comments:
Awesome Job Heather! Wish we were around to run it with you! Next year for sure! :)
Boy, am I slow in checking out the blog! Great pictures Heather - you rock! You are MY inspiration! I ran my 5K with a sub 10 minute mile, so I am happy, too! ;) No one there to take my picture though.... ;p
This story made me cry....you are such an incredible woman, woman!!!
:)
Post a Comment