Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!



Happy Mother's Day to my Mom. I am very lucky to have the Mom I have. I was thinking of all the reasons that made her so special to me and the list just seemed to go on on in my mind. Here are some of the special memories and things that did and does that make her the best mom:
When I was little,my mom took me for walks all the time. We went for picnics up in the woods behind our house. That is probably the first memory I have of my Mom and me together.
When I was sick, my Mom took the best care of me. She would sit beside me for however long I needed her when I didn't want to be left alone.
My Mom would play baseball and croquet with me when I didn't have anyone to play with. We would go on long bike rides with a stop at the Trading Post for a treat.
When all the neighborhood kids got together to play kick the can or softball, my Mom was the one that made the huge bowl of popcorn and the pictcher of lemonade for everyone.
In the summers, my Mom would take my friends and me to the river to go tubing and she would be at the end to pick us up. We also spent many summer days swimming at the beach at Hartman's Creek. My Mom was always the one that loaded everyone up in the car to take use there. (and took us fast over the hills to make our stomachs flop!)
When I was 10 years old, my Mom had breast cancer. She had a double mastectomy. When she came home from the hospital, I never remember her being sad or angry about the hand that life had dealt her. She was always upbeat and positive and kept a great attitude, even when her prothesis came out of her swimsuit and was floating 3 feet away from her at the beach.
My Mom has spent many years helping other breast cancer patients in dealing with a mastectomy. She also volunteers for hospice and spends time with people who are in their last days of their lives.
As I am writing this, I am realzing (again) how lucky I am to have the Mom I have. Every time I talk to my Mom, she tells me she loves me.
If I could some day leave half the legacy to my children that my Mom has left to me, I would very fortunate.
I wish all you Moms a very Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Gatfly said...

How cute!
And how alike your expressions!
Happy Mother's Day to you, too!

Gatfly said...

Wow - wonderful writing, Heather! So glad you told me to look again! Do you want me to run that off for her, or are you going to send it to her?